RE: battery backup sump pumps

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: battery backup sump pumps
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:07:54 -0800
> We seem to be becoming the set for "Water World" here... :-)

Have you looked into diverting rain water away from the house ?  The grade
doesn't need to be steep, but it does need to slope consistently away from the
foundation.

>  Our sump
> pump runs intermittently all the time basically, and in very wet weather
> probably cycles on every 10 min or so.

So how much water will your sump hold, between the cut-out level and the cut-in
level?  That information divided by the minimum time the pump stays off in rainy
weather will give you an idea as to how much pump capacity you need, plus a
suitable safety factor of course.

> So, that said, the battery sump setup I thought looked cool until I saw
> the price was the Basement Watchdog AC/DC setup.  It'll pump 2200 GPH

Do you really think you need that kind of capacity ?  It costs money ...

> Of
> course, its $467, not including the battery ($100), and acid ($??).

Acid is dirt cheap.  Like dirt, you'll pay more for packaging and delivery than
the acid itself is worth.  Think I paid $5 for a half-gallon last time (which is
enough to do maybe a half dozen batteries).

Don't forget that lead acid batteries have a limited lifetime.  They need to be
tested periodically, and replaced.

Sorry I can't help with recommendations, but maybe this will get you started on
the right questions.

Randall