RE: Washing Machine Motors

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Washing Machine Motors
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:23:33 -0800
> Do you think the problem might just be bad contacts in the motor's internal
> start/run switch producing lots of resistance but still giving part of the
> starting torque ?

It's possible, but I would think the contacts would rapidly overheat and fail
completely with that much power being dissipated in them.  The starting winding
usually draws more current than the run winding, so we're talking 10-20 amps
through those contacts.  The only reason they don't blow the breaker is that the
start winding is only engaged for a few seconds.

Randall