RE: Washing Machine Motors

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Washing Machine Motors
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:20:10 -0800
> So the question is: Do electric motors lose their "oomph" as they get
> older?  Will a new motor probably fix it?

IMO, more likely you've got bad bearings somewhere.  Might be in the motor, but
I'd guess they're in the transmission or whatever supports the drum.

It's possible your motor is "tired", especially if it's a capacitive start
model.  The windings themselves last essentially forever, but starting
capacitors can lose capacity over time (which lowers starting torque).  And even
if it is drum bearings, a new motor may have enough more starting torque to
cover up the problem for a few more years.  But I still think it's bearings.

Randall