Washing Machine Motors

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Washing Machine Motors
From: "Mullen, Tim \(IIS\)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:42:44 -0500
Since we seem to be on strange topics lately:

Do washing machine motors "wear out"?

We have an old washing machine that has been repaired several times
through the years and works very well, except for one thing.  Lately, it
often doesn't have enough "oomph" to get the drum spinning for the spin
cycle.  When this occurs, I can open the lid, push down the "safety
interlock" and grab the drum and give it a gentle tub - then things
start spinning.  The motor does all the rest of its work just fine, it
just has a bit of trouble getting the spin cycle going sometimes.

So the question is: Do electric motors lose their "oomph" as they get
older?  Will a new motor probably fix it?

We really like the washer, and it is a huge capacity washer - much
bigger then newer models, so we'd like to keep it going if we can...

Tim Mullen