Re: Welding/cutting table

To: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>, Shop-Talk
Subject: Re: Welding/cutting table
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:29:10 -0800
At 03:09 PM 11/21/2004 -0800, John Miller wrote:

>The goal here is to 30x60in surface, hinged off the back of my Vidmar
>cabinets.  This is about all I have room for, and it needs to be able to
>fold out of the way.  My thoughts are as follows:
>
>a) A piece of welded boiler-decking e.g.
>http://www.mcnichols.com/products/bargrating/welded/ as the cutting
>surface.  It should be rigid enough and flat enough, and just about
>manageable on the weight front.
>
>How quickly should one expect a cutting table to get chewed up?
>
>b) Something else that would lay on top of it as the welding surface,
>maybe a sheet of 14ga steel.
>
>Any better alternatives?  I'd think it has to be cheap enough to replace
>every so often, so stuff like sheet copper starts to get prohibitive.

The way I've always seen these made is with an angle iron frame that
has brackets arranged to hold individual flat bars on edge
That way, as the table gets chewed up, you swap the bars around.
Flip 'em over, end to end, different positions on the grid (iron?!)
Eventually you need to replace individual bars, but you replace what
is worn, not the entire assembly.

Steve Shipley