Welding/cutting table

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Welding/cutting table
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:09:01 -0800
The goal here is to 30x60in surface, hinged off the back of my Vidmar
cabinets.  This is about all I have room for, and it needs to be able to
fold out of the way.  My thoughts are as follows:

a) A piece of welded boiler-decking e.g.
http://www.mcnichols.com/products/bargrating/welded/ as the cutting
surface.  It should be rigid enough and flat enough, and just about
manageable on the weight front.

How quickly should one expect a cutting table to get chewed up?

b) Something else that would lay on top of it as the welding surface,
maybe a sheet of 14ga steel.

Any better alternatives?  I'd think it has to be cheap enough to replace
every so often, so stuff like sheet copper starts to get prohibitive.

John.