Re: Wet saws (and HF framing nailer review)

To: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wet saws (and HF framing nailer review)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:57:08 -0400
> After having visited the new local Harbor Freight store to
> purchase the framing nailer I used this past weekend, I saw
> they had wet saws for $50 and $70 (including blade).  Since
> it'll cost that for a day-long rental, I'm thinking of picking one
> up for a small tile job (fireplace hearth) in the next month or
> two.  I know I'll use it again for the kitchen backsplash, so
> it should be a good investment.  I also see a bunch on Ebay
> for $25 + $33  shipping, but can't tell the brand.  I think I'll ask
> the seller about that.    Any experiences?

I cannot comment on the HF cheapo wet tile saw, but I can on the cheapo one
that Lowes sells for about $50.  Lowes product link:

http://tinyurl.com/5omkd

It works fine, makes nice clean cuts, and the blade is fairly durable.  I've
laid approx 170sq ft for a bunch of small jobs that required a good amount
of cutting, and only now I am considering changing the blade.  I did my
fireplace hearth with this unit, then a closet (5x6'), then my laundry room
(5x10'), and finally one of my bathrooms (one more to go).

The 45deg angle adaptor works fine also, I found the built in guide scale on
the saw to be accurate and easy to adjust the guide fence accordingly.

If you try the rush the tile through, the motor will simply stop, until you
pull back the tile and let some pressure off of the blade.  Nice and slow
and you will not have any jams.  A full 12" cut on a floor tile takes just
under a minute to cut.  Smaller, less dense tiles (like your typical 4" wall
tile), cut a whole lot faster.

I went with the saw at Lowes because at the time HF did not a store near me
and I did not want to mail order a saw.

> On a related note, does anyone know a good place to
> purchase authentic looking ceramic 'brick look' tile that can
> be laid just like regular tile?

Del Val Tile might have something.  http://www.tilefather.com

I believe you are in the Philly metro area, Del Val Tile is about 5 minutes
from the Turnpike in Pendell / Langhorne.  I have bought quite a bit of tile
from them, including some nice decorative borders.

Hope that helps some...

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke