Horrible Freight MIG Welder???

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Horrible Freight MIG Welder???
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:24:41 -0500
I want to learn to weld and I want a welder.  I don't have much money to get
into this.  Harbor Freight has just put one of their MIG welders on sale for
$174.99.  That is in my range!  I also know that their stuff can be junk.

Here is the info...

87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER
For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux
cored gasless operations.

    * Welding current range: 25 to 87 amps
    * Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
    * Open voltage: 19 to 30
    * Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
    * Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
    * Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030''
to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored

Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush
hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.

I know that a certain percent of people on this list will say, this is about
the best I can afford, is this "pile of junk" worth the risk?

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
'57 A-H 100-Six - http://Austin-Healeys.com