Wet saws (and HF framing nailer review)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Wet saws (and HF framing nailer review)
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:27:26 -0400
After having visited the new local Harbor Freight store to purchase the
framing nailer I used this past weekend, I saw they had wet saws for $50 and
$70 (including blade).  Since it'll cost that for a day-long rental, I'm
thinking of picking one up for a small tile job (fireplace hearth) in the
next month or two.  I know I'll use it again for the kitchen backsplash, so
it should be a good investment.  I also see a bunch on Ebay for $25 + $33
shipping, but can't tell the brand.  I think I'll ask the seller about that.
  Any experiences?

On a related note, does anyone know a good place to purchase authentic
looking ceramic 'brick look' tile that can be laid just like regular tile?
I found this place http://www.brick-floor-tile.com and have a phone call in
about their product.

I purchased the 21 degree framing nailer for $100 at HF, and used it to
(quickly) build a nice looking knee wall in my attic before the new roof
goes on.  It fired the nails great but had a few quirks that I thought I'd
mention if others are interested:  It's heavy, but hey, it's a framing
nailer, but I would imagine it's heavier than some of the nicer ones out
there.  No dust cap for the air connector (used to this on my porter cable
nailers) and the rubber/plastic protector cap where the nails are fired fell
off a few times.  No problems double firing, but it did try, probably b/c I
was working in some tight spaces and couldn't get a consistent "aim".  When
it did try to double fire it just hit the wood again, but no nails came out.
  It seems like it only wants one row of nails fired at a time, when 2 rows
were loaded, when it came time for the second row to get fired, it wouldn't
fire.  no jams, I just had to sort of reseat the nails... dunno.  there was
no quick depth adjustment, you need allen wrenches, which they give you.
But even with a low psi setting 70-80, it still fired and 'set' the nails
nicely into 2x4 studs.  Toe nailing was easy as well, I didn't have to hold
the nailer in any particular angle to get it to fire the nail firmly into
the piece.  While from time to time I would forget to wear ear protection
using my finish/brad nailers, I would definitely recommend using it for this
guy, but that goes w/out saying.

PJ