Re: Pioneer Steel Buildings

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pioneer Steel Buildings
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:29:42 -0400
Steve Shipley wrote:
> At 03:48 PM 8/14/2004 -0400, Rush wrote:
>
>> Anyone on the list have a shop like this?
>> http://www.pioneersteel.com/home.php A guy near my house has built one
>> and it is very impressive. Completely free span with no trusses. The
>> skin doubles as the frame. Simple tools can be used to build one.
>>
>> If the development I live in didn't have a restrictive covenant
>> against steel outbuildings, I'd be building one for myself.
>
> The site mentions wood or concrete side walls.  Do your covenants
> specify roofing materials?

Nope. My covenant has holes you can drive a semi through. I'm going to
guess you are about to advocate camouflaging the steel to make it more
palatable. I thought about it, but by the time I buy enough materials to
cover the shell, I could have it stickbuilt.

> Jeez I hate covenants.  I wonder how many freedom loving patriots
> willingly live under that kind
> of oppression.

I entered into it knowingly, always planning on stickbuilding my shop,
since that is the type of construction work I was comfortable with. I
never considered a building system like this.

I'm not down on the covenant, since it keeps those rusting, collapsing
eyesores of dimestore metal sheds out of my line of sight.

> Waving my blue tarp for freedom,
> Steve Shipley

I'm sure we could get into a long debate over covenants vs. freedoms,
but true freedom allows you to choose to band together with like-minded
individuals to carve out a lifestyle that is pleasing to you. I'll take
covenant communities over bureaucratic zoning any day, as long as the
covenants are well written and enforceable.

Jon