Re: Copper Brake Lines

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Copper Brake Lines
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:24:42 -0700
At 10:51 AM 8/5/2004, you wrote:

>I'm interested in your collective wisdom and thoughts about
>using copper tubing for brake lines in automobiles.

  I was told NO (yes in caps because it was yelled at me) to using copper
for brake lines, it is really easy to work with but it will work harden and
become brittle very quickly.  Its not safe.

  This came from the British mailing list many years ago when I redid my
brakes, a good friend used copper on the same car as mine and I was
wondering if I should too.  I was told to ride around in his car now while
the brakes are new and not after a year or so when the brakes will let go
suddenly.  I ended up ordering Cupranickel lines, its a Copper-Nickel
combination.  I think another name for it is Kunifer lines.  I found them
in the U.S. but it was still cheaper to get them from the U.K. and pay for
shipping (much cheaper, the U.S. guy thought they were gold plated or
something).  This was 4 years ago, might be in the States by now.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/