Copper Brake Lines

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Copper Brake Lines
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:51:23 -0400
I'm interested in your collective wisdom and thoughts about
using copper tubing for brake lines in automobiles.

I met a fellow car club member Tuesday night who extolled
the virtues of using copper brake lines on his restored
british cars primarily because it eliminates corrosion
problems.  He said the biggest caution is to avoid running
lines where they could be easily damaged, as from a rock,
since the line would likely rupture.  He said there was no
problem in holding enough pressure.

My '66 Sprite came to me with copper brake lines, and I had
considered changing them.  Now I'm unsure about the need to
do that.  Also, I was under the impression that copper lines
were not legal to use according to most DMVs.

Any comments?