Taps & Dies

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Taps & Dies
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:19:04 -0700
   about 30 years ago I purchased the cheapest tap-die set I could find at
a swap meet and over the years I have replaced that set several times with
equally cheap units.  4 months ago I purchased a Craftsman set, 39 pieces
for $70 thinking I was finally getting a good quality set.

   Well yesterday I needed it for the first time and F...up 2 studs on my
motor because the 6mm die is messed up, it created rolled threads and the
studs would not go into the head.  So I returned that die to Sears and got
a new one that is fine...but I am concerned about the whole kit now.

   Before I mess up anything else on my motor I want to buy a
decent...no... a good set of tap-dies and I am looking for an education and
a place to buy them.  The guy at the bolt store today said a hex die is for
cleaning up threads and a round one is for cutting threads, well my hex one
destroyed the threads.

   What do I look for and where is a decent price, not looking for the
cheapest, looking for some quality.

        mike