Re: 5th wheel vrs goose neck.

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5th wheel vrs goose neck.
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 03:03:33 -0500
On Jul 6, 2004, at 12:19 AM, Randall wrote:

>> why are all travel trailers 5th wheel mount...
>
> They aren't, not by a long shot.  However, past a certain weight, 5th
> wheel
> is the only practical way to attach a trailer.  So the 5th wheels tend
> to be
> the upper end of the travel trailer spectrum, simply because they are
> heavy.
> Maximum trailer weight for a ball-type hitch is about 5 tons, while 5th
> wheel travel trailers run 6-8 tons.
>
>> and all "utility, farm, car
>> haulers" goose neck ???
>
> Seems to be a disconnect in terms here ... "goose neck" refers to a
> type of
> 5th wheel trailer where the hitch comes up, forward and back down to
> connect
> to the tow vehicle.  This allows the use of a pickup truck as the tow
> vehicle, as opposed to a special-purpose vehicle (like a semi tractor).

Nope.  They're different things.  Reese use that terminology, so I'm
pretty sure it's standard.

Generally, people who say "gooseneck" mean a trailer thats attached to
a ball in the bed of the towing truck, much like the normal hitch ball.
  The ball is typically 3", I  think.

A fifth wheel trailer has a hitch pin that engages a slot on the hitch
of the towing vehicle, just like a semi-trailer attaches to a
semi-tractor.  I don't know if the pins are the same size, but it's the
same attachment method.

One reason that stock trailers and other farm trailers tend to have a
gooseneck is that you just need a ball in the bed of the truck -- the
frame of the hitch is underneath.  With a fifth wheel, you need a large
turntable in the bed.  That gets in the way of using the bed to haul
things when not pulling a trailer.  Most gooseneck hitches make it easy
to remove the ball, a number allow it to be flipped over a minute or
two.  When not towing, you've got the whole unobstructed bed.