Re: Small Compressor

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: Re: Small Compressor
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:23:56 -0500
On Jun 11, 2004, at 10:32 PM, Rush wrote:

> Wow, busy list today!
>
> I want a small vertical compressor for my shop. I'm short on cash and
> space. Wheels would be a plus. All the short-verticals I've found have
> oiless pumps. One wag on this list called them airless, so I'd like to
> find one with a oil lubed pump. Does anyone know if there is such a
> beast for under $300? HD has a airless on wheels in their latest
> brochure for $300 with a free air tool kit. Give me a reason not to
> buy it.

Harbor Freight list this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47065

No knowledge about it, other than the webpage.

I've got a small airless, er, oil less, compressor at home.  It's got
about the same claimed numbers as this one does.  It's enough to keep
up with an impact wrench or an air ratchet most of the time.  Big,
stuck bolts often require waiting for a second go at them, and I can
make it run constantly if I'm doing something where I can run the
ratchet a lot.  It just about keeps up with my air hammer. Trying to
use a cut off wheel or die grinder is painful if it's a task that takes
more than 30 seconds, as the compressor can't keep up.  (The duty cycle
is something like 30 seconds work, 60 seconds wait.)

One other comment -- good air tools use less air to do more work than
cheapies, usually.  The tools included with nearly any compressor will
be Chinese junk.  Give the impact wrench away, and buy a decent one.
The one that came with my compressor couldn't move bolts I could with a
18" ratchet and one hand.  It would work for changing tires, and that's
about it.