RE: Upgrading Shop Electrical

To: john matthews <john__matthews@hotmail.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Upgrading Shop Electrical
From: "Mullen, Tim (IIS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:42:46 -0700
john matthews wrote:

> I had someone suggest I could run 2 - 4ga, 1 - 8ga and
> 1 - 6ga through it, <...> Specifically, which of these
> wires would be neutral and which ground (assuming the 4ga
> are hot)?

No help on what size wires you can get through the conduit, but you
NEVER want to have the ground wire smaller than the hot wires - larger
is okay, but never smaller.  I'd say pretty much the same thing for the
neutral too.

If something shorts, the path back is through the ground, and it had
better be "big" enough to carry the full load (and then some).

Tim Mullen