Re: lawn tractor tires/getting stuck

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, SHOP TALK
Subject: Re: lawn tractor tires/getting stuck
From: Laurence Davies <davies@123access.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:15:33 -0400
Andy
I was having some luck with shifting my weight to the wheel that was spinning,
when it struck me that " . . . what if I could place bar-bell weights on the
side needing traction?" I got some used ones at a garage sale, and while it is
not a perfect solution, is does work a lot better than sitting precariously on a
fender! With a little ingenuity, you can mount a "bar-bell bar" so that the
weight can be placed, and rearranged, for best effect.
Laurence

Mark Andy wrote:
Anyway, our yard at the new house gets and seems to stay reasonably wet. Every
time (three so far :-) we've mowed, we've managed to get our 50" cub cadet lawn
tractor stuck somewhere where the lawn is especially wet (to the point where if
you walk on it, your foot sinks in and immediately gets soaked, but you're also
able to walk without loosing your shoes). I'm wondering if there's ways to
improve this.  The LT tires seem to "load up" pretty easily with wet grass / mud
for instance...  That can't be helping traction.  It'd also be nice if I could,
like on my dad's older Kubota "real" tractor, step down on a pedle to lock the
rear diff for a bit, but I'm guessing that isn't a practical modification to a
standard LT hydrostatic transmission...Any "been there, done that" advice?
Thanks!
Mark