Re: What do you call.........

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What do you call.........
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:53:21 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, David Scheidt wrote:
> I think you'll find your building inspectors call them "prohibited".
> Pits are dangerous, not just because people fall into them, but because
> they collect heavier than air fumes.  Carbon monoxide for one, but also
> explosive vapors.  If you do live somewhere you can have one, you may
> find that you can't get it insured, or it'll cost you a bundle extra.
>
> Plan for a lift, even if you don't install it now.

My dad, ten years or so ago, put in a pit when he built his garage
addition.  I can't remember, but it might have been illegal when he did it
most anywhere else, but they don't have silly things like building permits
for garage additions where he lives.

Anyway, it cost him as much as a lift.  He did it that way to keep the
required headroom down.  I've used it, along with numerous two post lifts
and some four post lifts.

IMHO, if you're actually gonna use the thing, figure out a way to get a
two post lift.  A four post is much more inconvient and it always seems
like you're working around a ramp or post or needing to walk around it or
whatever.  A pit is even worse.

Mark