Re: What do you call.........

To: "Steve Hammatt" <GSteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: What do you call.........
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:04:23 -0500
On Apr 11, 2004, at 4:13 PM, Steve Hammatt wrote:

> I'm thinking back to an older house we owned many years ago.
> I didn't know it until after we purchased the house and the owners
> had cleaned out the garage, but it had a mechanic's pit on one side
> of the garage.  I've been doing some research on these pits and got
> to wondering what other names could be used.  We're getting ready
> to build a new home (and shop) and I want to check out the building
> codes for any consideration necessary.
> I've used:
> mechanic's pits
> lube pits
> grease pits

I think you'll find your building inspectors call them "prohibited".
Pits are dangerous, not just because people fall into them, but because
they collect heavier than air fumes.  Carbon monoxide for one, but also
explosive vapors.  If you do live somewhere you can have one, you may
find that you can't get it insured, or it'll cost you a bundle extra.

Plan for a lift, even if you don't install it now.