Re: Auto body seam sealers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Auto body seam sealers
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:42:00 -0400
At 04:25 PM 4/11/2004 -0700, Steve Shipley wrote:

>Well, "Opportunity" knocked (me in the head) and I purchased a Lotus Cortina
>minus engine and trans.   I have the car pretty well stripped and as soon
>as my
>sills arrive from Australia, I'm going to start welding up some rust.
>
>What is new to me is that every panel on this car seems to be stuck
>together with a bit invisible welding and the joints between the panels are
>filled with some sort of glue that pulls out with a finger nail.  I guess
>this is
>auto body seam sealer.
>
>I've Googled the topic and there seem to be lots of options but I haven't
found
>much information which tells me what to buy and how to use it.
>
>The answer may be as simple as choose a goo and apply a bead or brush
>some and maybe smooth with finger tip to duplicate original appearance.
>
>Has anyone used this stuff before?

Steve,

I'm by no means an expert, infact I hadn't used the stuff until a couple of
years ago.  Your best bet is to run by an automotive paint supply store in
your area, and ask the counter people what they recommend.  There are 2
flavors that I'm aware of: one is in a can and you scoup it out with your
finger or a putty knife, the other is in a calk tube.  Most have the same
properties.  Be sure that what ever you get is paintable - I think most are.

One thing a friend showed me reciently was to form/shape it, dab your finger
in some lacquer thinner.  It will help smooth out the sealer and won't let
it stick to your finger and pull it.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic