Re: Running new gas lines & gas fireplaces

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Running new gas lines & gas fireplaces
From: Dave C <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:08:35 -0800
I would strongly consider hiring a licensed plumber to do the work,
preferably one referred to you by someone  you trust.  I ran a lot of black
pipe when I was younger (mostly steam and compressed air, and some ammonia)
and I still hired a plumber to install the gas stuff to my new
house.  Considering the money you will spend on pipe threading tools, and
the criticality of getting it right, AND getting it bought off by an
inspector, I think you may be money ahead by having it done rather than
making it a DIY job.

BTW, I have threaded a bunch of pipe both with hand dies and by pipe
machine.  Threading pipe by hand is no fun, and you really need a good pipe
vise to do it right, not just a bench vise.  Also, once the job is
finished, you won't have a lot of use for the pipe tools unless you plan to
start a second career as a plumber or a pipefitter, unless, of course, you
want to come and plumb my shop for air.  If you DO decide to do the work,
you should consider renting a pipe machine and dies; it will save you a lot
of work.  I wouldn't mess with teflon tape, either, but would get some good
professional pipe dope rated for natural gas service.

Dave C