RE: Running new gas lines & gas fireplaces

To: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Running new gas lines & gas fireplaces
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:38:50 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Jim Bauder wrote:
> I won't comment on all of the construction details you have raised, as that
> is mostly a local building code issue!

:-)  Well, I was hoping that most of those would be generic questions
where the local code nearly always says the same thing...

> However, the easiest way to cut in to the middle of a gas pipe run, and I
> have done this twice in 2 remodels, is to use a standard "left/right
> coupling". These are available at larger plumping supply stores. I am not
> sure that a Lowes would have one in stock. If you get one in your hand, it
> will be obvious how to install it an how to plumb from there to your
> appliances.

Does that look like this?:
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=ironsteelppf&FT_138=899&FT_696=45874&session=desc=Pipe%20Fittings;ironsteelppf;138=899;696=45874

McMaster doesn't have anything called a left/right coupling that I can see
so far...

I also saw this pipe threader:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30027

Any reason this wouldn't work for a homeowner's level of use?

Mark