RE: Florescent lighting

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Florescent lighting
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:36:37 -0800
> I just discovered that the compact fluorescent bulbs I've been buying
> (to replace incandescent) have mercury content. What's on the horizon
> to replace these?

To the best of my knowledge ... nothing.  The amount of mercury is small
(all kinds of fluorescent bulbs account for only about 1% of mercury
released into the environment each year) and so far no one has come up with
a reasonable alternative.  The amount of mercury in the bulbs is dropping
(Philips has some bulbs that are below the EPA's threshold for hazardous
waste) and there are recycling programs available in many areas; so the
mercury released is also dropping.

Note that HID bulbs also have mercury in them, as do sodium vapor bulbs.

Randall