Florescent lighting

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Florescent lighting
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:56:29 -0800
I've about had it with the lighting in my shop. I have twenty, twin
tube, 8ft. florescent fixtures on two separate circuits. Many of these
fixtures are connected (hardwired) together end to end, and hung from
chains from the tall ceiling. Some are surface mounted under the
mezzanine.

These are the cheap, single pin fixtures. They make a tremendous amount
of noise. Worse when cold, but still unbearable when warm. I don't know
if it is the particular frequency that these things are humming at but
it drives me up the wall. I can hardly stand to be in the building for
very long. You can tell when the lights in the shop are on right when
you pull in the driveway, as your radio signal gets wiped out right
away. I've tried changing ballasts, bulbs etc. These lights just plain
suck.

I would like to replace these with the electronic ballast type. I'd
really rather not have to dismount all these fixtures. I'm hoping there
is some sort of retrofit kit that would provide the ballast and the end
connecters, and I can use the same fixture shell. I realize this will be
expensive, but I've got to get this fixed.

Has anyone done something like this or know of any kits?

Wayne