Re: Salamanders..

To: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Salamanders..
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:32:24 -0600
> > salamander type heater. There are ones that are kerosene
> > fueled and others that are propane.
> >
> > A)Which type stinks less?
>
> Propane

Yes.  The expensive clear kero burns cleaner then the cheap stuff, though.
Diesel works, and smells awful.

> > B)Is there any noticeable difference in the amount of
> > moisture each produces?
>
> Not that I can tell.

If you burn fuel in the shop and vent it to the shop space, you are going to
get moisture, and lots of it.  Fundamental inevitability of chemistry.

Through-the-wall heaters like mine (natural gas, but they also come jetted
for propane) are pretty expensive, but they don't mess with the air in your
shop.  If you have a dedicated shop, well-insulated and fairly tight, this
the way to go.  I have a 30,000 BTU unit and it seldom come on to maintain
50 degrees F, even when it is below zero outside.  Combustion air comes from
outside, and fumes go there, so the flame is schematically outside the
structure.  Only downside to this is making sure that non-heating-related
fumes in the shop (like gasoline in the cars) are not sneaking up on you.

If you are working occasionally in a garage used for daily drivers,
un-insulated and well-vented, an un-vented heater like a salamander or
radiant propane will work, but be resigned to the moisture.  You will need
lots of power, and will burn up a lot of fuel.  I did this with a 70,000 BTU
kerosene salamander for my whole adult life until about 4 years ago.  Don't
miss it a bit.

Maybe you can come up with something with a fume vent.  If you are working a
vented garage, taking the combustion air from the work space is probably OK.
If the area is tight, you could have some danger from CO or using up the
oxygen.  Maybe a through-the-wall propane heater designed for an RV would
work.  Might be some used ones about.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"Drifting is the synchronized swimming of auto competitions."  -Gene Bennett