Re: [personal] Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder

To: <shiples@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [personal] Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:36:26 -0600
> >It's for getting tough jobs done.  Once I bought one, I wondered why I
> >didn't have one 30 years before.
>
> I didn't even think they had been around that long.  But with the
internet, and
> someone willing to make a "Greatest Moments in Plumbing" page.......

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2
379,6736,00.html

Which states in part: "Invented by METCO engineer Ed Ristow, the first
Sawzall was sold in 1949".

Indeed.  The new SawzAll I have is billed as the 50th-anniversary model.

My old one was left to me by an uncle.  It may be one of the originals, or
nearly so.  The power switch likes to stick "ON" now and again.  This scared
my kids silly, so they bought me the new one.  Tons of power, lighter than
the original, speed-control trigger, and quick-change blade holder (no Allen
wrenches necessary).

Thanks for the tip about DeWalt-brand blades!  I love this list.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"Drifting is the synchronized swimming of auto competitions."  -Gene Bennett