Back-up home generator.

To: Shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Back-up home generator.
From: bn1@pacbell.net
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:33:53 -0800
Hi List,

I have elderly parents, in their 80's, that live in Mt. Shasta, CA.
That's snow-belt and why I moved to southern CA after growing up there
and having shoveled enough!

I have bugged them forever to get a back up generator.  Now after the
east coast black out, they got a quote.  Their main survival needs are
powering the oil furnace for heat, a refrigerator and the micro-wave.
Hey, their kid doesn't use his burner stove much for cooking either ;-)
Their house is about 2M sq.ft.

I'd like to run this by all you experts.

The brand name is Generac.  It produces 15,000 watts @ 100 amps.  It's
propane powered and fully automatic.  Apparently, it will even kick in
for half an hour once a month to keep everything lubricated and
working.  I never knew there was a propane system.  I was expecting like
a Honda gas powered.  (I'm electricity challenged, BTW!)

Their quote was $6,895 + $525 for the 125 gal. propane tank.  This is a
total quote:  Wiring, slabs for the generator & tank, etc.   Is this
reasonable?  Any other ideas?

Is propane the best and safest way to go?  Safety and reliability are my
main concerns here for obvious reasons!

TIA

Bill Barnett
Santa Ana, CA