RE: "Good Enough" but Good Value

To: "'Shop-talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: "Good Enough" but Good Value
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:12:29 -0800
> I probably will catch some grief for saying this, but
> if you need a tool, why not buy a good one?

In my case, frequently the only choice has been between buying a cheap tool,
or none at all.  The other choice is between buying a good tool or feeding
my family ... which is no choice at all.

> In the US
> we seem to have this mentality that cost is king, and
> if something is $5.00 cheaper, we are foolish not to
> buy it instead.

I'm not talking about $5 cheaper, I'm talking about tools that are almost as
good, and half the price or less (1/4 is not unusual)

> power tools: Milwaukee or Porter Cable

The most expensive drill motor I ever bought was a Milwaukee, as you said I
planned for it to be a once in a lifetime purchase.  It's speed control
became intermittent within 3 months, I sent it back 3 separate times to be
repaired.  The third time they declared it to be out of warranty, and
charged me the price of a cheap drill motor to repair it.

Then of course the cordless drills became practical, so the Milwaukee lays
in the drawer getting old (along with the cheap drill motor I bought to use
while it was in the shop) while my less expensive (even with two battery
packs), 12v cordless does all the work.  It hasn't failed yet in 5 years
(although one of the battery packs is getting a bit weak).

> measurement: Starrett

Whew! Nothing like the good stuff eh ?  I bought an entire 0-6" set of mikes
for the price of one Starrett.  They'll still be in good shape when I die,
but might not bring as much at the estate sale.  Oh well.

Randall