Re: "Good Enough" but Good Value

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Good Enough" but Good Value
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:40:52 -0800
Randall Young wrote:
>>I probably will catch some grief for saying this, but
>>if you need a tool, why not buy a good one?
>

> In my case, frequently the only choice has been between buying a cheap tool,
> or none at all.  The other choice is between buying a good tool or feeding
> my family ... which is no choice at all.

Randall, I am in "violent agreement" with you here
given your situation. But the point I was trying to
make, and was doing a poor job of it, was that to me,
buying tools is not a decision like buying salt for the
water softener or something that is a consumable by nature.

I go cheap where I can, and I do not indulge myself
much (e.g., drink PBR), but as long as I can afford to
buy S-K and Starrett, I will.

I was just out setting the end float on the crankshaft
of my TR6 engine rebuild using my Starrett dial
indicator and magnetic mount base. Clearly I could have
done this with a cheap indicator, and may have been
able to set it up as precisely, but I just enjoy
handling and using quality tools.  It's a luxury,
perhaps, but it is about the only one I have, and it
makes me feel good.

>>power tools: Milwaukee or Porter Cable
>

> The most expensive drill motor I ever bought was a Milwaukee, as you said I
> planned for it to be a once in a lifetime purchase.  It's speed control
> became intermittent within 3 months, I sent it back 3 separate times to be
> repaired.  The third time they declared it to be out of warranty, and
> charged me the price of a cheap drill motor to repair it.

Sorry to hear that -- I guess everyone ships a bad
switch once in a while, but I do not think this is
typical of Milwaukee tools. I have their large surface
grinder, 1/2" hole shooter, 10" compound miter, etc.,
have used them for many years and had no repairs or
problems with any of them.  Plus that hole shooter is
the most powerful drill motor I have ever used.

> Then of course the cordless drills became practical, so the Milwaukee lays
> in the drawer getting old (along with the cheap drill motor I bought to use
> while it was in the shop) while my less expensive (even with two battery
> packs), 12v cordless does all the work.  It hasn't failed yet in 5 years
> (although one of the battery packs is getting a bit weak).

I have a Sears cordless drill (a gift) as well for the
light stuff -- works fine.

>>measurement: Starrett
>

> Whew! Nothing like the good stuff eh ?  I bought an entire 0-6" set of mikes
> for the price of one Starrett.  They'll still be in good shape when I die,
> but might not bring as much at the estate sale.  Oh well.
>
> Randall

No arguments here, Starrett definitely costs several
time more than the cheaper stuff from the Orient, and
the cheaper stuff apparently works OK.

The only points I would add are that I really enjoy
handling and using that precision Starrett mic, and I
also enjoy knowing that some skilled toolsmith in
Massachusetts hand built that mic, and supports his
family from his job at Starrett.

Again, it just makes sense to me to buy good tools if I
can afford to, and to support the firms and workers who
make good tools. If I could not afford to buy good
tools, it is entirely a different scenario.

I used to work in a Chevy engine plant in Flint
Michigan in the early '70s. My coworkers would complain
that people were buying Japanese cars, and that
consumers should support the domestic auto industry and
the jobs it produces.

These were the same guys who would go to K-Mart and buy
the cheapest Taiwanese tools they could find, or buy
Chinese work boots instead of Red Wings, etc.

doug shook
los angeles
'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6