kerosene heater

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: kerosene heater
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:21:38 -0500
in the shop at the new house, I've inherited some sort of kerosene
heater.  I haven't pulled it down to look at it yet, but before I spend any
time on it, I thought I'd ask about venting.

this one doesn't vent anywhere.  it looks like it's been there a while and
in use, but, um, shouldn't it have a flue?  I know the jet heaters don't,
but usually those seem to be in use in open spaces with lots of fresh air
for venting.  this one is in a small two-room shop, and combustion
by-products would make themselves known fairly quickly.

or is there something I'm missing?

and then there's fire--I know new-ish heaters mount in walls, etc., etc.,
but this looks like an amp-ed up space heater.  dare I run it anywhere near
wood?

I know without specifics this is far too general, I'm asking more if
anybody here runs a kerosene space heater in an enclosed shop, how far away
from flammables you keep it, and have you nearly killed yourself yet?

thanks.

scott