Re: Can anybody explain this?

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: Can anybody explain this?
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:05:12 -0500
>Howdy,
>
>On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, David Scheidt wrote:
>>  >Well, I don't share your enthusiasm for Stanley w/regards to mechanical
>>  >tools, but whatever.  No idea why they'd skip 7/16"...
>>
>>  Stanley used to make some nice tools.  They might even still, if they
>>  haven't moved all their operations to SE asia.
>
>I suspect they have good woodworking tools (they used to, back when I did
>carpentry in the summers in college), but I've never heard their name
>associated with any _mechanical_ tools... Like wrenches.  Maybe they make
>great stuff though, it'd just surprise me.

The Stanley works is big, big company.  They own Mac tools and Proto,
and used to make some nice stuff for Husky and craftsmen.  And
probably lots of other private label stuff.  The mechanics tools sold
under the Stanley brand were never their best.

>  > >That said, GearWrench (KD Tools I think?) ratcheting combination wrenches
>>  >have been around a while and every mechanic I know has them.  _Super_
>>  >useful.  Check out http://thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW360.html
>>
>>  I prefer the Craftsmen version, but the gearwrench ones are nice.
>>  Make sure you get a reversible set.
>
>We're just gonna have to agree to disagree... :-)
>
>I actually much prefer the non-reversable ones.  No little lever to trip
>while you're working on a tight bolt and the non-reversable ones are
>typically straight, which is usually pretty handy when getting into tight
>spots (otherwise you can typically use a socket).

I haven't run into many places where I'd rather have a straight
wrench, as opposed to one where I'm not going to bust my knuckles.
The other reason I prefer the craftsmen version (All of them are made
by various subsidiaries of the Danaher Tool Group) is that they're
made in the US.  I can also never keep track of which way the wrench
is going to work without the little lever.  But they're definitely in
the "How did I get along with out these?" category.

David