Re: How to oil air tools?

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to oil air tools?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:03:20 -0500
Don Malling wrote:

> I'm new to air tools, and have bought some cheap ones at HF to get
> started. They say to oil them daily, but it's not so clear as to where
> to put the oil in them, what kind of oil to use, or how much. Do I just
> put the oil in the air input hole? Doesn't sound right.

I have always put 4-5 drops of oil down the air input hole before using an
air tool.  I am partial to Marvel Mystery Oil, which in my book is great
stuff.

A word of caution when oiling your reciprocating sander or orbital sander,
make sure you run the tool through a few cycles before you actually go
sanding anything.  I once forgot to do this before sanding down an MGB
bonnet, and the tool whizzed small drops of oil all over the primer.  Just a
pain to clean up and it gunks up the sand paper.

Kai