Tool solvent. . .was Hand Cleaner

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tool solvent. . .was Hand Cleaner
From: "Steve Dillen" <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:35:30 -0700
> ..Fast Orange wipes!  No residue on your hands
> when they dry, no need to wash your  hands after use.  The wipes are also
> great to clean your tools off with, does a much better job than papertowel
> and dishsoap.

I don't recall where I got the recipe (I'd lay odds it came from this list
years ago), but for tool cleanup I use

1 part Kerosene
1 part ATF
1 part Acetone
1 part Mineral spirits.

It hasn't blown up yet :-), and I don't really recommend getting it on your
hands BUT it cleans just about anything off tools (grease, paint, glues,
dirt. . .what have you) and leaves a film to keep stuff from rusting. (no
heat in the shop yet). Thinking back, this recipe may have been related to
cannon bore solvent.

Steve
. . .not planning on quitting my day job to take up chemistry