DRILL-OUT broken bolt extractor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: DRILL-OUT broken bolt extractor
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:20:32 -0400
Anyone try using a DRILL-OUT extractor?  This is a sort of combination
left-handed drill bit and ez-out thing, that one uses with an electric
drill.  Go to http://www.aldn.com/drillout.html if you want to learn
more.  These are also sold at Sears with the Craftsman name.  I just made
my first attempt at using one.  I used a 1/2 extractor.  I am trying to
extract the remains of a drain fitting from an engine block.  I followed
the directions.  Drilling down the center was trivial, as the fitting
already has a hole down the middle.  When I did the "plunge" I received a
surprise.  The chuck unscrewed from the drill, shearing the screw that
secures it in the process.  That was not what I had in mind.  Anyone have
any success with one of these things?  Thanks.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net