Re: gas line install question

To: JNiolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: gas line install question
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:48:14 -0700
JNiolon@uss.com wrote:

> where did everyone go ???  very quiet lately...
>
> I'm gathering parts and pieces to install a 50000BTU ceiling hung Reznor
> gas heater in my shop  (oh goodie...warm this winter)
>
> I've got to run a gas line about 60 feet from the house to the shop and the
> route will take it right down the edge of a flower bed  for nearly the full
> length...   I plan on using 1/2" coiled copper tubing with flared fittings
> for the line (since it's free)...   any suggestions on depth and protection
> from digging   without doing a great deal of damage to the planting area...
> I thought of putting it in 1.5" pvc and setting it down about 8" deep right
> against the concrete driveway which borders the bed... think this will
> suffice ???
>
> I'd rather not have to cut and thread black pipe for this run... copper
> will be much easier to work with but will need more protection
>
> TIA
>
> john

Here in Los Angeles, black iron pipe is used for
gas inside the buildings. I have run several
lines, and had them inspected, and all was well.

I think for some reason that galvanized is not to
code, and I also think copper is not to code (I
surely could be wrong).

I am certain, though, that burying black pipe is
not to code, and I think the city uses some
plastic pipe on large rolls, though I do not know
if it is pvc.

Like someone suggested, I would call the county or
city and find out what is specified locally.

best,

doug

los angeles

'72 BSA B50SS