pulse type battery chargers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: pulse type battery chargers
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 09:12:28 -0500
I just completed ruining two 12 volt hi crank amp batteries, evidently by
keeping them charged ???

I had two 1100 cca batteries that I kept on trickle charge as backups for
my generator and occasional jump start on a car or tractor in the
neighborhood.   The consensus is that just keeping 1-3 amps on the
batteries doesn't 'exercise' them and the plates will 'sulfate' ???   ..  a
neighbor suggested using a pulse type charger..   my question...

can someone explain what the process is ??    is this just unfiltered dc ??
or is there a occasional surge voltage that burns off the sulfates ???

I know these units can be bought but can they be home built ??   anyone got
a schematic ??

please educate the electrically challanged here..

thanks

john

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.