Re: Lifts - shipping?

To: Wayne Farrington <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Lifts - shipping?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:10:50 -0400
Wayne Farrington wrote:
> So, the next question I have is about shipping one of these lifts. They of
> course ship by freight truck which presents a problem for my location. I have
> no means to unload something like this and for that matter a freight truck is
> not going to fit down my private road.

   This is heavily dependent on lift design and how it comes shipped,
but when my four post came, I unloaded it by hand using two friends and
a little help from the driver. From the minute it backed in until the
truck pulled away was only 20 minutes or so, the driver didn't seem at
all concerned.

   On my hoist, the heaviest pieces are the ramps. One ramp also has the
cylinder embedded in it's base, which adds at least 100 pounds compared
to the other side.

   That part was heavy and tricky, the rest wasn't too bad. But this is
heavily dependent on design and how it comes packed.

   My four post is the kind with four corners that bolt into the ground,
and a platform that rides inside them. The corners are just I-beams, so
two average men can easily carry them around.

   Some four posts sit on the ground and do not bolt in, so they have a
more complex corner post assembly. I am not sure how they are shipped,
they might have heavier pieces.

   The company that sold me the hoist (Hydra-Lift) was helpful, they
basically told me how heavy the heaviest pieces were and how it would
come. (wrapped on skids)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca