Re: [off-topic] Wall construction question

To: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Subject: Re: [off-topic] Wall construction question
From: "John P. New" <jnew@hazelden.ca>
Date: 05 Aug 2003 11:35:29 -0400
Tim,

In my house (110 years old), when we repair or replace a wall, we use a
modern lathe & plaster method of structural perlite over expanded metal
mesh, finished with plaster (the real stuff, not drywall compound).

I have found the structural perlite a good match to the old browncoat
used in my home. We have used it over the expanded metal to repair the
old lathe & plaster, as well as over old masonry, with excellent
results.

The method our plaster uses is as follows (from my notes of watching his
technique):

Mix structural perlite to a fairly stiff consistency.
Wet the area to be repaired to ensure good adhesion.
Apply perlite.
As it begins to dry, go over wet perlite with a trowel; this will level
the perlite and create a rough surface to take the final plaster coat.
Level the perlite to about 1/16" to 1/8" below the finished wall level.
With a sharp trowel, dig out the perlite where it meets the edge of the
old finished wall, so that a very square edge exists between the old
finished wall and the new perlite, like this:
___________                   ________
Old Wall   |  Perlite repair  | Old Wall

When fully cured, apply and finish the final coat.

As I write this, I seem to recall that at one time he added lime to the
mix, but I don't think he has done that the last few times he has been
here.

Hope this helps,

John P. New
London, Onatrio, Canada