Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches

To: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Subject: Re: Oxy Acetylene Torches
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:53:23 -0500
>So does any one have any experience with these sets?

I've used cheap torch sets of several different brands, and they've
been cheap for a reason.  They tend to have shitty regulators, valves
that don't stay adjusted right, low-quality hoses and such.  There
may well be brands that are better than others, but I wouldn't buy
one without being able to test it first.  A kit from Harris, Smith,
victor or the like doesn't cost a whole lot more, and is much nicer
in quality.
Don't start with a set of small bottles.  The little 20 cu ft things
don't last very long, and cost nearly as much to fill as larger ones.
I'd go for Q-sized (80 cu ft, about 3' high) as a minimum.

David