Re: fiber-cement siding?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fiber-cement siding?
From: "Steve Hammatt" <GSteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:50:04 -0700
Phil
I'm no expert, but have used Hardi siding and am in love with it!
I'd suggest the traditional clapboards.  It looks just like a regular
clapboard siding without a lot of the long-term headaches.

Cut it with a carbide tipped Skil saw, You'll need to sharpen the
blades a little more often than if cutting wood.  My carpenters
simply nailed it with galvanized nails, if my memory is correct.
I don't recall any reason for stainless steel fasteners.  Check with
the manufacturer, I'm sure it will be mentioned in their literature.
We simple used latex paint, nothing special.  It covers beautifully!
I'd say it is more durable than cedar.  We've even used it to replace
some damaged areas on our kennel building where the dogs had
'worn-away' some of the reachable areas of the cedar.

I don't see how it can rot your sheathing, especially if you're using
the clapboards.  The clapboards, by their very definition and design,
allow for breathing.  Of course, you'll want to use building wrap for
best protection.

Asking about other material for me is an interesting question.  For
any remodel or new construction of this type, I'd go with Hardiboard.
However, we're getting ready to build a new house and we're going
with a unique form of ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) material called
Rastra (www.rastra.com).  Check it out for new construction, it's not
designed for remodeling or recovering existing materials.

Good luck
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA