fiber-cement siding?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: fiber-cement siding?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:09:11 -0500
OK, I am focusing my question about the siding for my shop and for my house.

I have a mix of vinyl (only 4 years old, yet broken here and there on the
neighbor's side) and ancient hardboard on the shop/garage.  I have pink (may
be original?) aluminum on the 1950-vintage house.  This stuff is a mess.
The individual corner pieces are askew.  There are holes drilled in it here
and there for now-unknown reasons.

I was just down at Menards looking at a fiber-cement product.  Has a 50-year
warranty.  Claims it can't rot.  Looks like it can take a hit without
breaking.

The stuff comes two ways:

One.  Traditional clapboards, to be placed individually. 12 feet long.  Just
as slow to put up as the cedar stuff, but should last.  Costs about 80 bucks
a square.  I know the This Old House bunch has used the clapboards.

Two.  4 x 8 sheets, molded to resemble vertical boards.  This stuff should
go up fast.  On the house, the 8-foot height would come to the top of the
windows.  A filler about 11 inches high would bring it to the bottom of the
suffix.  The horizontal seam is supposed to carry a "SO" flashing, which
makes sense to me.  On the shop/garage, the 8-foot height will do the job in
one pass.  Vertical seams are supposed to be sealed with silicone, which I
am not as sure about.  Costs about 60 bucks a square.

Both kinds come primed and are supposed to be painted.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

How do you cut it?

How do you fasten it?  Stainless nails in a (rented?) nail gun sounds like
the fast way.  Stainless screws sounds a lot slower.

What paint do you put on it?

How long should the paint last?

Is it as durable to physical hits as cedar?

Does it rot out your sheathing?

What other material would be better and why?

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com