Re: Wilton machinists vise?

To: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wilton machinists vise?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:30:54 -0600
"Brian C. Kennedy" wrote:

> I can't advise you about a machinists vice, but this reminds me of how my
> big mouth gets me into trouble. Several years when I couldn't afford decent

I sent a later message which did not go through, acknowledging that Chris'
estimation of this item was quite correct. They call it a machinist's vise, but
it is not a machine vise. Some distinction
between the two. I looked at the catalog and it is indeed a bench vise. The
price is good, compared to list in the MSC catalog, which is $372.

There is only one reason mitigating against buying this that I can see. If one
does a lot of tube and pipe work, then it may not be suitable, since, like many
vises today, it does not have cast-in
lugs in the jaws to grip pipe.

That said, it looked very familiar. I bought a large metal workbench with a
vise mounted on it at a salvage auction at work a while back. Went out and
looked at it, and it is exactly the same model
described in the original post. Well-made, and indeed around sixty pounds.

Knowing what it's worth, I guess I'll hang onto it, since my total investment
is $25.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.