Re: Wilton machinists vise?

To: Larry_Spector@NAI.com
Subject: Re: Wilton machinists vise?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:25:43 -0600
Larry_Spector@NAI.com wrote:

> I've been looking for a new vise, and found a "4" SWIVEL WILTON MACHINIST
>VISE" on sale for $280 + $14.95 shipping at Enco. Does this sound like a
>decent deal? Is it overkill for a home shop?

Probably too much for general use. Typically, a machinist's vise is meant to be
used for machining--the faces are generally trued by grinding, the ways are
machined to prevent the outside jaw from
kicking up and disturbing the seating of the part for machining. The swivel
function is probably degreed for some angular accuracy, and probably requires
clinch nuts rather than simple locking arms to
get enough rigidity.

If you're looking for something to mount of the corner of a bench, this
probably isn't it. I'm sure you can find something to suit your purposes for
less.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.