Re: building shop - compressor in the bathroom?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: building shop - compressor in the bathroom?
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:48:50 -0400
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:23:03AM -0700, Ron Horwitz wrote:

> I'm at the planning stage for a 22x27 garage at my
> house.  I'm going to put a bathroom in it and thought
> about also locating the air compressor in the same
> room.  This will keep the noise isolated from the main
> work area.  Other than the need for OSHA hearing
> protectors if I happen to be in there when the
> compressor kicks on, is there any other negative to
> this arrangement?

Probably not a bad idea from a noise suppression point of view
but I'd have the following concerns:

1) How big will the compressor be?  I'd be concerned about having
   a big 220V appliance in such close proximity to water.

2) How big will the bathroom be?  Your proposed garage dimensions
   aren't vast so I would assume this will be a rather small
   bathroom.  A large compressor will do a good job of heating this
   confined area.  Heck, even a small compressor will do a good job
   of heating a confined area (took a small 12 gallon compressor to
   the office to blow up a few hundred balloons for a coworker's
   birthday.  8x10 office.  After a few minutes, I was wiping
   sweat from my forehead.)  Unless you design it with windows, your
   bathroom will probably be uncomfortably warm while your compressor
   is in use.

3) If you go with a 2 stage compressor, you might find that the
   noise level is low enough that locating it in the main work
   area isn't a problem.

JM

--
Jimmie Mayfield