Re: bearing packing tool?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bearing packing tool?
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 17:43:27 -0400
Hi,

    I've got one of those tub type bearing packing tools.  I got mine from
the Snap-On salesman but from the picture it looks identical to the "Lisle
Handy Packer. Bearing Packer" sold by Harbor Freight.  Its part number is
Item# 158100, and is listed as having  "Discount Price...  $19.99".  Of
course at http://www.autotoolexpress.com/hapabepa.html it's on sale for
$18.50 (part number LIS34550) and I probably paid more than that to the
Snap-On dealer 15 years ago when I bought it - LOL.

    In my experience this tool works great!  It packs far better that I
could ever pack grease by hand.  The only possible downside is if you want
to pack different types of grease you would need one of these for each type
of grease as changing the grease would be impractical.

    As far as the two cone type of bearing packer - well I agree with
Randall Young, my brother gave away the one we had in the family as the
grease wastage and mess was greater than careful hand packing.

    I'd recommend the cup type as it is a lot neater than the cone type and
not too much more expensive.

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' (long slow restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon (daily driver)
other misc transportation boxes