Overhead door choices

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overhead door choices
From: "Marc" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:29:29 -0400
My cars really took a beating this past winter, so I've finally started my
garage project: enclosing my 2 1/2 car carport. The back wall is basically
done, and all the materials are here to do the side wall. After that, I need
to select an overhead door ( maybe two smaller ones) and frame out the
opening.

I've been looking at various websites to learn about doors, and the only
thing I've learned is that I don't really know much about overhead doors.
I'll get the best insulated doors I can afford, and I don't want any windows
in them.

The garage is 24 feet across, but the roof is slanted such that at the far
end there is not much clearance above the opening. I'm not such how much
clearance I need above for the overhead doors + opener mechanism. I'm
planning to put a standard access door (probably a 3-6 prehung unit)
somewhere in the front. Looks like it could wind up on the far side.

I'll hire someone to hang the overhead doors, but am looking for any insight
as to one large door, or two smaller ones. I've looked at the cost factor,
the 'utility' factor, and asthetics. I'm leaning towards the two smaller
doors currently, but I've changed my mind a half dozen times already.

Anyone care to comment? What issues have you come up against that makes one
configuration better than the other? Perhaps there's an angle I've
overlooked entirely?