Re: Chain link fence

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chain link fence
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 19:51:23 -0400
At 03:13 PM 5/27/03 -0700, Wayne Farrington wrote:

>I am fixing to get ready to start thinking about maybe putting a chain link
>fence around the backside of my shop.....

>How is this done with a metal chain link fence post? How do you hold the post
>plumb while the concrete cures? Maybe use a muffler clamp around the pipe and
>bolted into a 2x4? How do you set the post height with the metal posts. Leave
>them tall and then cut them off like you would do with a wood post? I have
>portable band saw that would probably work good for that task.

Wayne,

The way I've done the last couple is to figure out where your corner posts are
going to be.  The using a string make a streight line between each corner
post.  Dig a hole for the corner pipes.  If we went too far, we put dirt back
in.  We would sink all the vertical pipes to so that the tops were all the
same height.  There is a "hammer" that we used to pound the vertical pipes
down with.  It is an over sized, heavy, metal pipe about 2 feet long, with an
ear welded on each side - 180 deg. apart, and a cap welded to one end.  You
slide the hammer over the vertical pipe and raise it up and slam it down onto
the vertical pipe.  This will drive the vertical pipe (since it's hollow) into
the ground.  We used a ruler, a string line, or level to try and make the
tops of all the pipes the same height.

We usually sunk the pipes about 3 to 4 ft. into the ground.

Start with the corner posts.  You can use the hammer to set the corner posts.
Once they are down, they will usually free stand, if you didn't dig the hole
too deep.  Then mix some quick crete and pour it into the holes.  Now using
a level, we checked the corner posts for being actually vertical.  As the
quick crete drys, you can move the posts a little.  But they will usually
stay about where you put them.

Measure off the distance for the remainder of the vertical pipes.  Then hold
one up, with out diggin, and use the hammer to drive it in.

The one thing you'll need is a "fence strecher" to pull the chain link tight.

We had a crew of about 4 people - 1 guy (me) at 53 at the time, another
fellow
45, one young man about 17, a boy about 15, and a couple of part timers, 2
women that we kept busy going to the store for various things we forgot, and
we put up about 150' in a 9 hr day.  Luckily it was pertty cool that day, as
I don't to sun and heat well. :)

You might check out the following:

http://www.fenceonline.com/installation.html

http://www.chainlinkinfo.org/step.html

Hope this helps.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org