RE: Harbor Freight blast cabinet

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Harbor Freight blast cabinet
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:10:33 -0700
> I have one very similar to that.  I love it, however, I made a couple
> of modifications to mine.  Check out the article I wrote on my Morgan
> web page: www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/mediablast.html

I think John meant :
www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/blasting/mediablast.html

I'll disagree with him on one point on air compressors : IMO the advertised
"hp" rating is completely worthless.  The most important things are air
delivery (CFM), and tank size.

A few months ago, I browsed compressors at the local Sears.   For all the
"home" grade compressors, the "hp" rating was anywhere from 2 to 3+ times
the actual motor horsepower (as determined by reading the name plate for
running current draw).   However, at some point, the multiplier dropped to
1.5 or less, for "professional" grade units.  There was a "5 hp" unit
sitting right next to a "7.5 hp" unit that delivered a lot less air!

Randall