Re: Bullseye Pick

To: "Diane and Roland Dudley" <csx2282@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: Bullseye Pick
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 21:40:08 -0400
Hi Roland,

    While I haven't actually used one of the Bullseye Picks either, a couple
of years ago my brother and I when to Michigan and took a metalworking class
with Ron Fournier.  The class was great!  The only problem I had was that
Ron was so darn good at metal working that when he would show us how to do
something it looked way too easy and we would then flounder around mangling
the metal until Ron would lay on his magic touch and then the metal would
start to cooperate.

    Anyway, during his discussion on tools Ron talked about the Bullseye
Pick and showed a short demonstration on it.  He liked it for pretty much
the same reasons that you mention.  However, he did suggest one modification
to the tool which was grinding the tip into a larger radius (more rounded,
less sharp and pointy tip).  He suggested that this decreased the sharpness
of the peak in the metal that the tip would create and spread the lift over
a larger area.  His had a tip that was about a 1/8" to 3/16" radius.

    At the time we took the course Ron didn't sell Bullseye Picks but he
does now.  URL: http://fournierenterprises.com/bullseye.htm

    HTH,

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' ("The Big 'D'" - patiently waiting for
attention)
1965 Ford Falcon ("Georgie" - daily driver)
various other transport machines