Bonneville security question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Bonneville security question
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:47:32 -0400
OK, I have a friend with extremely limited funds and she is having a
problem with her car.  She turned to me for answers and I am stumped.
Hopefully, somewhere can point me to an answers.

The car: A 1995 Pontiac Bonneville SE  (stock except aftermarket radio.)

The problem:  When she goes to start the car sometimes, the starter will
not engage.  A "Security" light comes up on the dash and she needs to wait
for it to turn off before she can try to start it again. (It takes maybe a
minute or two).  Note, the cars blinkers stopped working.  She isn't sure
when that happened. (it's typical that she doesn't pay attention to
whether the blinkers are working when she turns them on.)

The problem (with the starter) started after she went to STS for new tires
and was talked into a "tune up" (new plugs and wires).

She brought it back to STS and they stated that it was a problem caused by
the aftermarket radio. (BS if you ask me.  I installed the aftermarket
radio.  I purchased a stereo that was a direct fit into this car with the
correct plugs. <read "I didn't splice any wires">.  The STS monkey stated
that she needed to take the car back to a dealer to fix it.

Now, I've checked all the wiring and there are no loose connections that I
can find.  The key on this car has the "embedded (are you sick of that
word yet?8>)) circuit" in it.

Questions...

1-is there a way to turn off this "Security" feature?
2-is there a way to test the key? (maybe it's just worn out?)
3-what could have an STS monkey messed with to cause this problem?  (FWIW,
I'm convinced that many of these retail outlets cause other problems with
cars they work on to ensure that the person comes back to have it "fixed".
 But maybe this time the monkey was in over his head.)
4-is there any online resource for owners manuals?

TIA for any help!

Inch
http://megageek.com

"Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?"
R Waters.